Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Arrival in Munich


My flight from Ithaca, New York to Munich was pretty routine. Except for the late departure from Philly – US Air said that the tailwinds were so strong that if we took off on time, we would arrive too early. Definitely first time I’ve heard that one.

The Munich airport was strangely quiet. Not a soul waiting at any of the 8 or so passport control windows – I wasn’t sure if I was in the right place, but the guy did stamp my passport and grunt at me to move on. No one was on the escalators to the baggage claim area. My luggage was already waiting on the belt when I got there, and nothing was lost. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop when our good friend Norbert arrived with a little trailer to carry the suitcases and 3 computer boxes containing 3 months worth of stuff. Above is where the first lunch took place.
It was cold outside – only 12 degrees – and rainy. And smoky. It ’s often hard to find a public place with clean air here.

Upon arrival at home, the first order of business was to sit me down with a good glass of Weissbier (wheat beer). I don’t know why we can’t brew a good wheat beer in the U.S., but the best I’ve ever had in the U.S. can’t hold a candle to even a run-of-the-brewery Bavarian Weissbier.

After a traditional Bavarian lunch of various cold cuts, cheeses, home-made jams, and half a dozen types of very hearty, whole wheat breads and rolls that seemed so healthy they almost made up for the cheese and meat I eagerly consumed after a night without food on the plane.

2 comments:

Christianne White said...

Just read about your blog in the Tompkins Weekly and will be following it with much interest. Joined the Board of the Ithaca Children's Garden, and my ideas for the development of that site run along sustainable lines. For instance, if we do a water feature, would love for kids to experience the power/force of water. There used to be many mills along local streams. Michigan State University Children's Garden has a wonderful kid-driven fountain. Kids can push a metal gate around a central post, faster and faster to make the water spout higher. And for me, birds are an emblem of so many 'sustainable' challenges. The Lab of O just held a great 'Migratory Bird Day' for families, and they put up a little obstacle course to simulate the hazards of migration. I'm hoping we can do a big playground-size obstacle course that helps kids think about what birds achieve on the journeys! And help parents think about choosing bird friendly plantings and lawn products...anyway, as a new board member my ideas are not yet tempered by reality or history. Your blog is a great idea.

Sciencenter, Ithaca, NY said...

Thanks for your comment, Christianne. I have never actually seen the Michigan State children's garden, but I have met the person who got it started and have always been impressed by what they have accomplished. I'll keep an eye out for any good ideas along the way this during the next few months!

Good luck with your efforts.