Thursday, July 19, 2007

92 Nights at the Museum

The past several days have been pretty well consumed with getting set up. I suspect that by now, you’ve probably heard of the movie “Night at the Museum.” I am now living in a wonderful little one-room apartment reserved for guests of the Deutsches Museum here in Munich. I look out over the Isar River, which is all of about 30 m from my window and flows northeast thru Munich. My commute takes about 30 seconds, through a pair of heavy glass doors down a hallway with a work room for guest researchers where I have a desk and the Internet. My window here is on the same side of the long, narrow museum building.

Every morning, I have the pleasure of watching groups of happy school children from the second-floor windows in either my apartment or my office as they noisily (and always joyfully) walk with anticipation toward the museum entrance. The smaller children usually are holding hands in pairs. I can’t help but look at this daily sight as a poignant reminder of why we do what we do in the museum field.

No comments: